Saturday 21 March 2015

Week 1 - Check!

Wow, what a week! Wednesday I pulled the longest day at the school thus far: 12 hours. My MT wanted me to stay with her for the school's "student-led conference"-like evening so that night I wasn't home till about 8pm. Thursday I went to The Price Is Right Live with my friend and last night I didn't get home till late evening as well. The past few days, just like the days to come will always be go go GO.



I was going to blog earlier this morning but I have this thing, called a job. Where I need it to earn money. I got home from working and took a nap, and now I'm here! Talking to you recapping my intense (yet rewarding) week of my first practicum.

Two things I learned this week:

1. I have the best support system. At the school I'm at, my mentor teacher is hands down, absolutely, positively, happily, such a great mentor. She's given me constructive criticism and feedback that is going to help me be successful later on. She understands where I'm at in my teaching experience and is taking all of my previous experiences into consideration. Not only I have a great mentor teacher, the other staff and other student teachers are such a privilege to work with. I'm one thousand percent blessed in the administration and people who are here to support my journey through my IPT!



2. I need to transition from student to teacher more effectively. An area I need to work on as a student teacher is making that transition from a University student to a teacher. For the past 3 or so years I'm used to saying words like campus, lecture and cafeteria. And that's okay as that was my setting and environment for that time. Now, I have to change up what I say as these words, along others, I can't use anymore as a teacher since my grade 6'ers won't understand! I'm doing my best to use more elementary friendly vocabulary such as instruction or lesson -- so wish me luck! Transitioning from student to teacher is a lot harder than people give credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment