Friday 13 March 2015

See You Later Volunteering!

Due to my practicum starting this Monday, I finished (for now) two of my volunteer experiences today. Super bittersweet. I understand that I don't get paid for my time going to the schools, but it's the students, teachers and support provided that honestly helps me in realizing why I want to be a teacher.

This morning I was at the school where I read with various children--aging from grade 2 to 6. I read with a grade 6'er, telling him that I was going to be a student teacher for his grade and asked him to give me advice. Honest advice. He told me the following

- "Watch out for the silly kids"
- "There's always going to be drama"
- "Most either cry or get extremely sad"

At grade 6, really?! I told him that this sounds like grade 2, but then he told me his reasoning and it became more clearer to me. It was cool that he gave me honest, honest advice when teaching a group of his own grade because other than me, who's more of an expert in a grade than a student in that grade itself! 




And then there was this 3rd grade girl who was magnificent in her reading! I could tell right away. She told me that she absolutely dislikes Frozen. Yes, a child who does NOT like Frozen. Is this real life?! She mentioned that she dislikes the singing and Elsa and Anna, but concludes that her favorite character is Olaf. OLAF MAN! Furthermore, she told me that during reading Jack and the Beanstalk she does not want to live in a castle as a princess because she dislikes dresses, wearing them and seeing them. THIS GIRL IS GOING PLACES. And to top it all of, she wants to be a teacher. A TEACHER!! So unique this child is--surreal to see it up front.


My afternoon then consisted of helping out with an in-school field trip with a group of Kinders! These guys are so interesting to observe as they have no filter... which I love! I helped them with glass art which was cool to create!

It seems like I'm a 'student teacher' already at these schools, but I'm not. Because of my practicum, I won't be back till maybe September or even January at the schools. It's nice to reflect on back on these volunteer experiences because as I previously mentioned, they help me realize why I'm doing this teaching profession for. Not a goodbye, but a see ya later!


No comments:

Post a Comment