Wednesday 11 March 2015

Recap: EDEL 330 Science Curriculum

The second class I took this term is EDEL 330, also known as Pedagogy and Curriculum for Elementary Science. I find that a lot of EDEL courses you sit in table groups, instead of rows, and for this class specifically we did A LOT of table/group/partner work!

The topics in elementary science are pretty darn cool. I mean in grade 2 you learn about magnetism and buoyancy/boats. Grade 4 students learn about light and shadows, wheel and levers, etc. And in grade 6 students learn about air & aerodynamic, flight, evidence and investigation (which, by the way, is what I'm teaching during my practicum!) and other concepts. There's so much more variety and interest with elementary science. High school was just a big blah with only chemistry, physics and biology available. Good thing I'm going to be an elementary teacher, because seeing me teach chem or bio, will end up great! not be the best decision! That's where I need my friend Ms. L!

There was this one major term assignment that this class consisted of, where the quick and dirty version of it is plan a lesson, deliver the lesson to grade 6 students (topic - Air & Aerodynamics), record their observations and answer 3 questions (broken down into a, b, c, etc) with your group. I won't go into detail here, since I'll talk about it another blog post, but group work can be challenging. For this huge term assignment, I got the best of the best (group member wise). Expect a post from me soon where I'll talk about group work more in depth and its strengths and weaknesses.

Here are pictures of what my partner and I built during class. Basically, using art-straws the goal is to support several textbooks. It also has to be at least 50cm high and be considered an "elegant solution". This was one of our class activities where we analyzed science, technology and linking it into STS proper decision-making skills.


This was also my earliest class this whole year, not just this term. So I'd be lying if I looked forward to this class every Monday and Wednesday. 9 AM classes and me just for some reason, don't get along. Yes, our professor would mention information that would be on the midterm and final, but it was also the people that I sat with made the class even more enjoyable. I made a great choice sitting with them on day 1!

I'm also relieved in how the cards have been dealt. What I mean is that I am teaching a majority of science in my practicum. Taking EDEL 330 specifically this term is going to propel me into being the best science student teacher for these 6th graders! Science does rule!



No comments:

Post a Comment