Thursday 10 September 2015

BC Trip (Part 6 - Mountain Exploration)

Friday was my last full day in BC, where it was exploring the mountains. First part of the day was visiting the number one popular tourist stop in BC. Any guesses? If you said Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, you're right. We were there for a bit and after, we visited Grouse Mountain, taking the gondola to the top. Hiking up wouldn't be bad, but I would've been exhausted spending 3-4 hours conquering that Grouse.

Some neat facts about the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
- the bridge is about 140 metres long
- the bridge is about 70 metres above the river
- located about 10-15 minutes from Grouse Mountain

Basically, this tour package isn't best suited for people who has a fear of heights. When you cross the suspension bridge, the only way back is by crossing it again. It didn't help that when I went, it was raining. They gave us complimentary ponchos, which I didn't take, but when it's wet all the walkways become more slippery than usual. Needless to say it was a gorgeous walk exploring the other side of the bridge. There were "treehouses" they say, and other neat paths I walked on.

 


I mean look at how narrow this path was. It's three pieces of board wide. Yikes!


This park was one of my favorites stops during my time there. The smell of the rainforest, the scenic view of the outdoors, was just perfect and timeless. I walked and explored and walked and explored all around, and felt no stress at all. I wish I'm back there, hopefully sooner than later.

Grouse Mountain was up next, and unlike Cypress Mountain, the gondola going up was huge. Big enough to fit about 130 people on it. I felt I was on the subway station, because that's what the inside looked like. It wasn't as small or intimate as the other gondola, but hey, it got all of us to the top, and most importantly, as safe as possible.


At the top, there was a lumberjack show I watched. It was a competition about two lumberjacks competing to see who is the better one. What I didn't expect from it was the humour. During the show I never laughed so hard in that whole week. The jabs, the insults and the timing, was pure comedic perfection. I even told them that after the school. Some jokes, I still remember and can't share them here for various reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment