Monday 11 May 2015

Summer! + Week 1 Recap

What a week last week was! I started my full time job with the Strathcona County Library in Sherwood Park! Living in Edmonton, the drive is at least 30 minutes, sometimes can range up to an hour depending on weather. I'm one of the few summer students there working in the Youth Services Department! (Mind you there's 6 major departments in this large library!) 

I think instead of blogging every day or so, I'll think I'll do weekly recaps of my summer job. I plan in recapping about my week, things I learned and things I'm looking forward too. Let's start with week 1!


One word to sum it all up: training. We started training the second our first shift started and continued until Friday. There are other summer students working in other departments, so we stayed together, similarly like a "cohort." We learned SO much from this week, from meeting the CEO, management, to getting tours about the library and what makes this library, so unique in its programming and outreach. If you haven't heard or been to this library, click here to see what it can offer for you! Long story short, I love libraries because there is always something for someone. Anyone can find something they like within a library whether it's a DVD, book, program or class, you name it!


Lastly, s u m m e r for University students has officially started last week! Wait, that's a lie -- unless you're FT working like me, Uni students could also be taking spring/summer courses (which would be very challenging especially in sunny weather like this!). With that said, I'll be blogging about my job, things in the summer I'm looking forward to and continuing to add resources for other educators. Though I'm not teaching or volunteering this summer, I always will have something to share with you readers! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment