Tuesday 5 May 2015

Subject 4 - Health (or the elementary version of CALM class)

Health and Religion were interesting classes to teach, because there's no Alberta Program of Studies (POS) available online. However, my MT had certain objectives, similar to the POS that she has. She listed the outcomes I must focus on, thus my lesson revolved around that.

Here is an example of one of the objectives: R6.8 The students will analyze the influence of groups, cliques and alliances on self and others; e.g. at home, in school, in the community.

I introduced this class with a movie trailer and transitioned into a class discussion about cliques vs. group. I had to use examples and some kids even asked me "Mr. Fabia, were you a nerd?" I told them the truth. ;)


Here's the trailer I showed! They seemed to enjoy it, somewhat, maybe?


Teaching health was pretty cool, and I don't mind teaching it more! I also focused about community and forming relationships with older people. The outcomes were straight forward, it's the matter of using modern (and easy to assess) activities to use in class.

PS - Instead of playing the trailer above, I was going to play Mean Girls. However, the trailer was not appropriate for a Gr. 6 Catholic school class. Good thing I switched it last minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment