Tuesday 29 December 2015

Recap: EDPY 301

Last but not least I have to recap about EDPY 301, which also is Inclusive Education. This was a condensed, 5-week course because it was in conjunction with those taking their AFX, or the 9-week practicum. Basically, September and the first bit of October was the most overwhelming part of the term for me. Every day I had something to do or focus on for this class, just because it was at the fastest pace I ever experienced. I remember I took a spring course couple years ago, but that was 6 "manageable" weeks. This on the other hand, was go go go.


You can tell that I procrastinate with blogging when I blog about something, two full months later. In all honestly, I could have recapped back in October about this, but right after the final I was still swamped with other courses too! I don't even know the specific details from this class, but I do know this. Never EVER say "a blind child" or "a deaf child" because it's not inclusive language. Instead, say "a child who is blind/deaf/has a learning disability" since here, you're putting the child first over their ability. Something very useful, especially for job interviews.

Looking back on my eClass, EDPY 301 was broken down into four main topics: Differentiated Instruction - Contextualized Learning & Instruction - Universal Design for Learning - Teacher Beliefs and Attitudes about Disabilities.

The evaluation component was pretty straightforward: a midterm, a final and two assignments. I took this class with a good friend of mine, where we partnered for the assignment (that we didn't do so well on...unfortunately, but whatever).


Although this was my fastest course ever taken in my undergrad, I learned a lot in the 5 weeks. I just wished I had more time to absorb the course material, because not only was it timely and relevant for me, but also very applicable. I mean, hey, it's 2015, the classroom diversity will always expand and what you say and what you do in front of somebody, could have both positive and negative impacts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment