Wednesday 17 December 2014

Volunteering at School Number 2

So today I wrapped up my volunteer experience for the second school I go to! It's located in the south side where it's not an elementary school, rather a junior high school. Instead of working with mainstream junior high kids, who are (ahem) a tad bit annoying and frustrating preteens who deserve all the attention necessary. Kidding, (maybe). I actually work 1-on-1 with students who are new to Canada, learning English for the first time. Mr. E, the teacher who teaches that class has been an excellent role model and teacher for these newcomer students. What is cool is that I work with all kinds of students from all over the world, and each one brings a little bit of uniqueness and understanding towards the Alberta Curriculum. I can't wait to return back to the school!

I've been with this school since my very first University semester, so I have loyalty towards not only the school, but the class and to Mr. E. Yes, that means I've known that school atmosphere, its staff & students for about 3 years! I also love how that he gives me the harder subjects to work with his students (ie. chemistry or mathematics) because he trusts my educational background and passion for seeing these students to succeed academically, despite their language barriers. That's what I want for my students, essentially, to succeed. Regardless of any barrier or adversity that my (future) students will face, I really want to ensure that they are given a variety of tools and resources to become successful in their academic career.

Therefore, this post is a shout-out to the hard-working Mr. E! Because even though he appreciates all of us volunteers coming into his classroom working 1-on-1 with his newcomer students, I appreciate his patience and knowledge that he passes along to me, knowing that I'll be a teacher in the future myself. It's extremely useful and gives me a perspective in the teaching career, despite teaching elementary or secondary students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment