Saturday 30 January 2016

January Volunteering

January was a superb month for volunteering! I try to volunteer in various settings with the youth so that I get as much exposure as I can when having a classroom of kiddo's on my own. 

The first week I was SO SO excited to be back in the north-end school that I was at before my practicum. I had to stop going there temporarily because my IFX happened, and then summer came working two jobs then last fall term hit. Nevertheless, I am extremely thrilled to be back there for this winter term! 

To sum it up in a sentence, kids read to me using the assessment Fountain & Pinnell. We read one-on-one so that I (the reading assistant) can scaffold them by correcting mispronounced words and asking them comprehension questions about the text. I read with children anywhere between grade 2 to grade 6, and I LOVE it. Unique opportunities like this provide me skills to adapt and be flexible with a wide age range of youth. Also, you can never read TOO much, can you? 


I also volunteered with a good friend of mine at his parish. I helped deliver sacramental and confirmation preparation to both division I and II students. Again, I love the variation of youth I get to work with. I'm taking a class about teaching religious education to youth, and I feel that delivering church preparation aligns with what I'm learning in that class right now. 

On a side note, this is why I LOVE and feel SPECIAL being an Education student! Unlike other programs (not going to name names of course..) most, if not all of my courses contribute to my knowledge that I can use in practical applications. I admire this because everything will always then come full circle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment