Friday 12 June 2015

Picture Book Friday: The Quiltmaker's Gift

The Quiltmaker's Gift written by Jeff Brumbeau and illustrated by Gail de Marcken.

Before I parted from my experienced mentor teacher in April, I told her how I'm a huge fan of children's picture books. With my background, I'm more familiar with picture books geared towards the younger audiences. She suggested two fantastic stories, that are still picture books, but is written in language aimed for older elementary children. The first is this one, The Quiltmaker's Gift.


I love it when others recommend me children's books, because when I read them, I want to see which part(s) of it they fell in love with. With The Quiltmaker's Gift, the story and writing perfectly matching the older students. 

A quick synopsis of this story follows the story of a selfish, greedy King who is always unhappy, despite his fortunes. The King will only be satisfied by receiving a quilt from the quiltmaker. She says that she only makes quilts for those who are poor. This book explores happiness through giving and can tie certain subject matters such as religion, health, and language arts. 

I read this book during my lunch at work, and I was pleasantly surprised in the journey that Brumbeau takes us on. The dynamics of the King and the quiltmaker characters teaches readers valuable life lessons. I can definitely see myself using this book as an introduction to a lesson of mine!

I checked this book out at EPL. Click here to check it out! Also, here is the official website for The Quiltmaker's Gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment