Friday 19 June 2015

Picture Book Friday: One Hen

Remember when I mentioned that my Mentor Teacher suggested two books that are aimed for older elementary students? I hope you do, that means you've been reading my posts. ;) Well this is the second one, it's called One Hen. I read this again on my lunch break at work (librarians reading at work? it's like a dream for them!) and immediately fell in love with this story's plot and its theme. 


Its title One Hen is right above a phrase that says "how one small loan made a difference" --and it absolutely does in this story! Written by Katie Smith Milway and illustrated by Eugenie Fernandes, this book explores the lifestyle of Kojo, transitioning from child to young adult to adult to a senior. Set in Ghana, West Africa, Kojo is a man who does not give up, is smart with his money, all from a loan that is given to him so young. The plot ties well into school themes, such as giving, helping one another and community. Through hard work and dedication, your dreams will always come true. Change does happen, especially to those of good work and kindness. Kojo is a prime example of this. 

I can see why my MT passed along this book to me. First or second graders won't fully understand the meaning of it. The writing won't appeal to them. However, fifth and sixth graders will. I can already think of assignments or lesson plan extensions when using this book as an introduction. 

I would read this book in chunks, and focus on sections of it class by class. I would also point out the distinct visuals created by Fernandes. They add the story lots of life.



Last but not least, in the sleeve of this book it mentions how One Hen is based on a true story. Taken from the sleeve, it says:

"Kwabena Darko, who really did change his community and now is helping others do the same through a microedit lending progam."

What. An. Inspiration! Truly! This shows to my [future] students that nothing should stop you to do what you love and what you are inspiring to become. In Kojo's case, his passion was farming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment