Sunday 11 January 2015

Weekend Recap

In junior high, every Monday our homeroom would go around, one by one, describing what we did on the weekend. We were too young to say "worked all weekend" since we were <14. I remember most of us mentioned homework, homework, homework. Now, I'm not one for sharing my weekend highlights every single weekend, only when it's worth sharing.

This is the first weekend after school started last Monday. First off, I ordered my laptop on the 2nd of January and it came in last Thursday! I bought an Asus brand off the Microsoft store. It's this one! I've been searching around since December to find a workable, durable laptop for school and such. My brown Lenovo one, which I bought in Oct 2012, is becoming slower all around. I actually timed its battery life and guess how long it was. Two hours? Wrong. One? No way. 30 minutes? Nice try. It was 9 full minutes. Yes, 9 whole minutes from 100% to 5%. That's about 540 seconds. That instant I needed to find a new investment of a laptop, especially since my IFX is just around the corner. I'm using both laptops 50/50 so that I slowly transition towards the Asus one. Isn't it nice?!



After several weeks debating and searching, I finally have a new laptop. I'm not sure why everyone's gun-ho about Mac and Apple. I mean, I have an iPhone and an iPad, but I don't think I'm ready for a Mac commitment. It's just too much. Not now, maybe not ever. 

Friday I volunteered at an elementary school as always, but I talked about that in a December blog post. It was after that is what's worth sharing. I had a really nice lunch with a great friend from high school. I graduated from a small Catholic high school with about ~250 graduates. Since then, I don't keep in contact with a whole lot, just a couple (meaning 1 or 2). The person I had lunch with, we worked together endlessly through grade 12 student council and that I owed so much to her hard work and efforts. It's outstanding to see that after so many years still, our friendship is still going strong. Even though we don't depend on each other as much now as we did in high school, it's nice to see fellow high school friends then and there. 


I worked Saturday evening and driving home each time, I always pass by my local elementary school. The signs each school has for over-the-school-zone speed limit drivers are always interesting! That night I actually took a picture of what it said because I thought it was meaningful. This is the quote:

"Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, engage me and I learn." 

I love this quote because teachers can do all: tell, teach and engage students. Differentiating its influence towards students is what's rewarding as a teacher. Of course as a future teacher, I want my students to learn and remember my teaching, never forget it. 

And to finish off my weekend, I made (or put together?) chocolate covered licorice! I'm never known for being the best baker or cook, but really as a student, this is cheap and delicious. The perfect combination!


1 comment:

  1. "I had the most amazing shift at work on Saturday because I was working with my favourite coworker. She is amazing hilarious and I admire everything she does… I told her these things but also told her she is likely going to end up on the Bachelor to find love but would ultimately be kicked off…" - what your recap should have said. ;)

    ReplyDelete