Saturday 16 April 2016

Class Recap: EDPY 416

EDPY 416 introduced us to teaching English as a Second Language which also was my very, LAST, night class in my undergraduate degree. It was on Tuesdays from 5-8pm where Tuesday's were my longest days throughout the week. Seriously, it was class from 9:30am-8:00pm (but of course I had lengthy breaks in between to spend with friends and eat)! 

If you're even considering to take this class, let me warn ya, it's pretty content heavy. There were many concepts and theories and theorists and applications we needed to know. I'm not trying to scare y'all, but be warned. Despite all the information, it all was interesting to know and learn about which will be useful to know when I'll teach! 

Our assignment was pretty interesting for this one. We had to select an ESL speaker, interview them about their history and experiences learning English, then write a paper applying the concepts we learned from class. It was a process, but I appreciated this assignment because it encouraged us to get a hands-on approach of English as a Second Language and putting course content into application. I didn't too bad on it myself! Actually, it was my better assignments all term. Can I get a hoorah?!  



Night classes are always a hit or miss. I remember taking a night class several years ago and it really DRAGGED. Every minute felt torturous and I just wanted to get the heck outta there. Fortunately for this one it wasn't like that. I took this class with my best school friend and because of that, it flew by quick and at other times, quicker than expected! I'm always grateful for my connections in Education, just because you never know how it'll help me down the road! 

Stick by me with all this nerd-fest, but I think learning about Krashen's Second Language Acquisition was the most interesting. We also discussed about ethics (bleeding into EPS 410) and pathways to open up opportunities when teaching ESL. Lastly, our prof made this class more lively and upbeat. She's a bit sarcastic, like me, and I'm glad she didn't take it personally at all. Once you know me, you'll get my jokes. Trust me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment