Friday 6 February 2015

Observation Day Two

Today marks the completion of my second observation day at the school I'll be doing my practicum. From my blog last week, I shadowed the upper grades, thus today I watched the lower grades. 

In the morning, I watched a third grade class do their "morning routine" which consisted of many mini-lessons of ELA, math and social studies. They work in their booklets for 20-30 minutes every day right when the morning bell rings. After, I shadowed another third grade class (this one had twice as many students as they combined the classes) for their lesson on guided math. With my immense experience with mathematics and explaining numbers like a pro, I had no trouble at all with this one. 

As I was roaming around the classroom, I had a conversation with a young boy which I thought was pretty hilarious. Here's what went down:

Student: Where is the University?
Me: About 20 minutes from here.
Student: By Saskatchewan Drive?
Me: Yes! Very close to there!
Student: Cool, do you know an Ashley?
Me: Do you know how many students go to the University? A lot! And I mean about 30 000 alot! So the chances of me knowing someone you know are very tiny, just because there are so many people at the University!
Student: Oh, I don't care, so you know an Ashley?

Internally, I'm laughing inside as I love how these students think we know everyone at the University, knowing them by their first names. Their curiosity and their humor kind of wants me to be a comedian, however I'm no Jimmy Fallon or Ellen DeGeneres. I don't think I'm that funny..


Lunch was lunch as I had a soggy salad and read my emails and texts. 

In the afternoon, I observed a grade 2 class and another grade 3 class. The second grade class was the most energetic group of kids ever, as they completed "mini challenges" since today was their 100th day of school! I could tell their stamina and motivation in celebrating the 100th day of school is something that could last as long as the movie Titanic. If I teach these kids gym, I would be out of breath within minutes while these little ones are waiting to do more suicides...

Right at 2:30 we were able to find out which grade and mentor teacher we'll be assigned and the wait is over! I will be teaching...

..........GRADE 6! 

Yes, the older ones. The rough ones. The loud ones. Actually, the group last week weren't rough or loud, but interesting. I'm so so so so SO excited for this group as I was hoping for an older group for my practicum. Working at the library last summer I was exposed regularly to younger kids, not as much to the older ones. Having a grade 6 classroom is absolutely thrilling to look forward to! I'm secretly dancing as I'm typing this.




No comments:

Post a Comment